Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Fourth of July Pancakes

I wanted to make some special recipes for my kids since the Fourth of July is just around the corner.  After many searches on Pinterest, I thought I was destined to include strawberries and blueberries into EVERYTHING. That's fine and good but it got a little old. So I came up with something new: Firework Pancakes! They were so simple!!
 

I started with a regular recipe for pancake mix, but divided it into three separate bowls. I used about 7 drops of blue food coloring in one, then about 12 drops of red food coloring in another. I used more red so it didn't look so pink! Leave the biggest amount plain for white.


Set the burner a little lower than normal so you have some time to work with each pancake before it cooks! Start with a small circle of blue, then quickly surround it with a circle of red, and finally a circle of white.


I spread out the center using a chopstick. Make several lines from the inside out to create your firework.


Cook your pancake like normal. Note that only one side will have the firework design. I also made single red and blue and white ones so I could add chocolate chips. Yum!

What a fun breakfast for your kids! Aaaaand you can serve it with strawberries and blueberries if you wish it. ;O)


No comments: