Saturday, April 28, 2012

Paper Plate Handprint Flowers

After Easter was over, it took me some time to decide on a new theme for our projects because all the fun holidays are over. I finally "picked" flowers (pun intended!) to represent May Day, Mother's Day, and Spring! The first flower we made was inspired by a project from Oriental Trading.

First, I traced the kids' hands on green construction paper. While I cut out their hand prints (both right and left), Molly (5) colored a paper plate around the edges. Ben (2) happily gave me his hands to trace and scribbled on some paper but couldn't be bothered to color a paper plate so I got to color his!


Next, cut a strip of green construction paper and glue it to the back of your paper plate for the stem. Glue your child's hand prints to the stem to be the leaves! Glue a circle to the middle of your flower, cut from construction paper. I traced the bottom of a bowl to help Molly make a good circle.


Finally, I stapled a loop of ribbon to the tops for hanging, and trimmed little triangles out all around the paper plate to make petals. You can add a photo of your child in the middle of your flower, or their name and the year as a final touch!



No comments: