Sunday, March 18, 2012

St. Patrick's Day Leprechaun Masks

I came up with a quick craft project for my kids on St. Patrick's Day - Leprechaun masks! I started with a paper plate and cut a circle out of the middle then flattened it out a little. Molly (5) and Ben (2) colored around the whole edge with an orange crayon.

Meanwhile, I cut out a top hat from green construction paper, a black strip, and a yellow buckle. I measured the black strip over each hat and snipped the edges to fit perfect. To make the buckle, I simply cut out a square from yellow construction paper, lightly folded it in half, and cut two parallel slits in it without cutting all the way through the square. I had Molly weave the strip of black paper through it and glue it all to the hat.


To save time, I simply stapled the hat to the kids' paper plates. Be careful to place the staples so the rough edges would be on the front of the mask and not where they could scratch your kids. Finally I taped a craft stick to the bottom and let Molly decorate hers with stickers. This craft was so fun and quick! As my kids get older they could probably do more of it on their own, but for now it was super fun for them to play with! Molly even insisted she saw a little Leprechaun run through our back yard while we worked on the masks!

No comments: