Sunday, February 12, 2012

Tissue Paper Hearts

This was one of my favorite art projects I remember doing in elementary school. I was so excited to make one with my own little girl! Here's what you'll need:

Red tissue paper squares - cut 1"x 1"
Glue
Pencil
Cardstock or Paper Plate

Of course you can make any shape with your tissue paper squares, but I thought a heart for Valentine's Day would be a good beginner project for this. Start with your paper plate or cardstock and draw a heart shape. Fill in part of it with some glue, working one section at a time. Take a square of tissue paper and wrap it around the eraser-end of a pencil. I was worried that Molly (4) would have trouble with this, but she did great and never ripped a single tissue paper square! Using the pencil, press your square onto your shape so the edges of tissue paper stick out. Be sure you fill the whole shape and put each square right next to the others so there's no blank spaces!


I actually found a package of different colored tissue paper squares at Michael's, on sale for less than a dollar! You can always cut your own though - in fact, the bigger the project you want to make, the bigger the square you can use! After your project dries, carefully cut it out and you can write a special message on the back!

No comments: