Saturday, October 8, 2011

Easy Halloween Lunch Ideas!

I took a personal break on the fifth day of our Halloween Countdown, and sneaked a little surprise into the pocket that day. It was easy for me and fun for the kids: a win-win situation! I picked up a few little things from Target and Walmart just for this purpose. This time they each got a little plastic skeleton, sold from Target in a pack of two for just $1.

The next day our note said to have a spooky Halloween lunch. I made the kids some Halloween shapes Kraft Macaroni and Cheese (5 for $5 at Target) which was really cute. It has jack-o-lanterns, bats, and ghosts in it. I also made some hot dog monsters... so easy. I sliced a hot dog to have eight tentacles and added eyes and a nose using a dab of mustard. This idea is also great for summer because it can be an octopus! I'm pretty sure I saw this in a magazine once and just stashed it in the back of my head for another day... probably a Parents or a Parenting: the Early Years magazine.


Here's a second spooky lunch idea that we had one day just for fun! I took grilled cheese sandwiches and cut out pumpkin faces in one slice of bread before cooking to make a jack-o-lantern. I was pleasantly surprised to discover the cheese did NOT seep through the holes and make a mess on my skillet! Secondly, I served tomato soup and piped some concentric circles onto it with sour cream using a sandwich bag. Again I was happy to find it didn't sink! Then I dragged a toothpick through it to create a spider web. Yummy and yucky at the same time - Halloween success!

No comments: